Drying and Preservation of Magic Mushrooms – Done Right

Magic mushrooms, also known as psilocybin mushrooms, are making new waves in the modern world both in the field of medical science and recreational drugs. Ordinary people and medical scientists alike learn the benefits and effects of magic mushrooms and are becoming more and more curious about the possibilities. These effects and benefits can be traced to the psilocybin contained in the fungi.

Psilocybin, Psilocin and Their Effects

Psilocybin is a naturally occurring medical compound that turns into psilocin when ingested. As the enzymes inside the human body metabolize the mushroom, it produces psychedelic effects similar to that of other recreational drugs. Many users of magic mushrooms testify to the elated and euphoric experiences brought about by the consumption of shrooms.

In ancient times, people used magic mushrooms for ceremonial and religious rites. They believe that it has the power to bring them to a higher spiritual plane. Users of magic mushrooms in the new age declare similar incidents. They lay claim to spiritual awakenings credited to the influence of the psychedelic fungi. However, not all effects are positive. The effects of psilocybin and psilocin on the body are not predictable. It is advised to take them with restraint and presence of mind.

Studies in the medical field that are focused on the effects of psilocybin on the brain found out that controlled dosages of the compound can help ease psychological disorders the likes of depression, anxiety, trauma, and OCD. These initial findings lead to further studies on possible treatments of mental health-related problems thru magic mushrooms.

Drying Magic Mushrooms

is a growing trend among users and hobbyists these days. If you belong to these group of people, or simply interested in how to preserve your mushrooms, read on.

Drying is the process of removing most, if not all, of the moisture inside the mushroom to make them last longer. Moisture is a mushroom’s greatest enemy. Exposure to moist and other external conditions can make mushrooms rot and decompose faster. Contrary to what you might believe, drying mushrooms involve very little use of heat.

The first thing you have to do is to air-dry the mushrooms for about 24 hours, or until they look and feel dry. However, just because they feel dry when touched doesn’t mean they are completely void of liquid on the inside. To ensure that the mushrooms are bone-dry, place them in a dehydrator and leave them there for about 30 to 50 hours. In case a dehydrator is not available, desiccants can be used as an alternative.

Storing Magic Mushrooms

Proper storage of the mushrooms is essential to their longevity. Going through the entire dying process would be a waste if moisture gets in and spoils them. Make use of airtight jars or vacuum packers and seal them tight. Store the mushrooms in a cool, dry place where they are safe from moist and contamination.

Another storing option is putting the shrooms inside the freezer. Freezing mushrooms can extend their life indefinitely. Again, just be very careful that no amount of liquid makes it through the container.

Changes in Potency

Freshly picked magic mushrooms are the most potent. As days pass by, they begin to lose some of their potency. Drying them will also cause them to shed some of their strength, but it is a worthy trade-off considering the amount of time you will be able to store them afterward.

Some Precautionary Measures

If you find cultivating and/ or hunting magic mushrooms too taxing, you can get hold of local dealers to supply you with fresh produce or look for them online. Just make sure to always check the spore print of the mushroom before consuming them no matter where they are from. Anyway, a spore print is not difficult to take. You only have to cut off the cap of the mushroom and put it on a piece of paper. After around 30 minutes, you should have a print. Psilocybin mushrooms produce purplish-brown ones. Always exercise caution. Some species of poisonous mushrooms look similar with psilocybin-containing ones. Accidentally taking toxic mushrooms can put your life in danger.

One thing you have to be careful of is the amount by which you take the mushrooms. This is to prevent potential overdose. Although an overdose rarely happens with psilocybin mushrooms, it is wise to be wary and careful. The recommended dose for psilocybe cubensis, one of the most common and widely used species of magic mushrooms, is 1 to 2.5 grams. Other shrooms are more or less potent. Remember to check for their potency level and adjust your intake accordingly.

Another thing you have to watch is how often you ingest the shrooms. Spacing your consumption properly is vital because taking them in succession can result in tolerance build-up, which may lead to abuse. While magic mushrooms are not physically addictive, you can get psychologically attached to them.

Discover how properly preserved and dried shrooms taste! Click here to get yours!